Friday, July 25, 2014

Gary Winogrand on Sunday

After the noted implosion of neighborly relations and a threat of bedbugs, I went to the Met. The Met has a restorative power about it. It's big, it's renowned, it's cheap; guards don't stop you from photographing the art (but protip, don't try it in the current Goya exhibit, sorry I have no pix of this); you can stock up on satisfying little pencils with rainbow lead; and DAMN it I just realized I forgot to go to the rooftop installation while I was there, I'll go back with anyone who wants to go. 

I'm actually exhausted and lying almost completely prostrate while I type but wanted to put up a few shots from the Garry Winogrand show which is great and exactly what I was craving: a reminder of a few things to love about this city, and how many people have lived and loved here. It's sometimes pretty brutal to live here and the Met helps. 

Caption THIS. Also there I am in the middle of the picture, oops.


















What about this is so alarming? Reminds me a bit of David Levinthal.


















Probably one of my favorite images ever.


















A date to the zoo, maybe ends badly.


















Coney Island. This image is now all over my fridge & phone
background. #basic. Not sorry.























I swooned over the Dutch Masters paintings and noted that Anthropologie sells what are ostensibly replicas of glassware from a few of those stunning flower-dead bird-goblet-oyster still lifes. This bums me out, actually. More accurately, I almost bought one of these replica cups in a moment of 5th-avenue-after-5 weakness. Never shop on an empty stomach, and for god's sake, never on the way home from work. 

After I left the Met I walked down Madison to the bottom of the park. I went to Clyde's and LadurĂ©e. That was just the kind of day I wanted to have. 

Walking in such a historic district after seeing Winogrand's NY photos made me fancy myself a great capturer of candid moments on film. I took these two pictures with my phone. 












































I know, pretty compelling stuff. 

These turtles on something. Maybe just on each other.



















Thanks for the pick-me-up, NY. In other news, my air conditioner is crackling? Any tips? Will it soon explode? 




No comments:

Post a Comment