Thursday, August 15, 2013

2.

Two new arrangements 8/15, after work. I started out with some elegantly aging roses I bought in Union Square the other day. They are charming because they're so droopy and whimsical, very English looking and with a strong perfume. I also got some lemon basil that I planned to use as supporting foliage/stems. Next I picked up some Ars shears (which the clerk assured me were the ones Serious Florists use), two flower frogs, and a few vases in different sizes. I started arranging the roses in the short wide vase and ended up with too little to fill the space and a lot of roses drooping in different directions. In the end I used a short glass cup, wider at the top than the bottom, for four of the roses in two colors, and then a similar cup for three other of the most lively ones. Photos below.





It took me more than an hour to put them in these cups like this.






































That accomplishes this week's goal of creating a very simple arrangement with one type of bloom; "focal flowers." I ended up doing it having forgotten that goal to start with and ending up there anyway. I guess it's because when I bought the flowers in the first place I had that intention in mind.

The right tools make it a lot easier (shears) and also more confusing (frogs). Not entirely sure when or how to use them. I will refer to the book I have and observe patterns about when the frogs are used.

Am starving, time to make some eggs. I'll probably use some of the lemon basil since there are a bunch more leaves than there are blooms. It smells delicious and like lemony pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment